Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud!
Join Us on June 18 thru June 27 for the 8th annual WPA Juneteenth and Pittsburgh Black Music Festival.
2021 marks the first year that Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh declared Juneteenth a County and City holiday.
Juneteenth celebrates passage of the 13th Amendment and the end of chattel slavery in American while the month of June is Black Music Month in America.
In honor of Juneteenth and Black Music Month in America Stop the Violence Pittsburgh and WPA Juneteenth presents the Pittsburgh-Alllegheny County Juneteenth Freedom Days and Black Music Fest at Point State Park, daily.
Musical genres for the Festival will include Funk, Reggae, Soul, RnB, Gospel, Jazz, Blues and Neo-Soul
National Highlights for the WPA Juneteenth include:
1. neo-soulrecording artist Raheem Devaughn
2. Legendary Funk & Soul Band The Ohio Players
1. legendary Hip Hop artist Big Daddy Kane
2. legendary Hip Hop artist RAKIM
1. Chicago's Motor City Revue Band- Motown Tribute Band performing Songs by the Four Tops, The Supremes, Mary Wells, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Martha & the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell and the Temptations
2. WHO'S Bad- Michael Jackson Tribute Band
3. Shining Star- Earth Wind & Fire Tribute Band
National Highlights for the Black Music Fest are:
1. Jazz Flutist/Composer Nicole Mitchell of Pitt
2. Jazz legend Roy Ayers
3. Jazz Great Roger Humphreys
4. Legendary Jazz Saxophonist Gerald Albright
1. Gospel Phenom Koryn Hawthorne
2. Gospel Legend LaShun Pace
3, Gospel Great Tye Tribbett
1. Legendary Female Funk Band KYLMAXX
2. RnB & Soul Band Rose Royce
3. R&B Group Ruff Endz
4. R&B Group BlackStreet
1. Kevin Howard Jazz
2. The BB King Experience-Original BB King Blues Band
3. Neo-soul artist DWELE
5. Legendary Hip Hop DJ Kid Capri
For more information visit: wpajuneteenth.com
The City of Pittsburgh’s Department of City Planning Public Art and Civic Design (PACD) division has selected eight local, national, and international artists and artist teams for the 2021 expansion of the Art in Parks program. Each artist has been selected to create high-impact permanent public art installations in the five Allegheny Regional Asset District (RAD) parks: Emerald View, Highland, Schenley, Frick, and Riverview.
As we emerge into the sunshine of summer, KST Presents is delighted to share Summer 2021 artistic program! Kelly Strayhorn Theater has been a home for Black feminist thought, creation, and artistry. We are happy to say that this collection of events and projects for Summer 2021 affirm that history and carry it forward into the future. These opportunities to engage in art are an invitation to come together in community to celebrate, share, grieve, learn, and grow, be it virtually or in person. Join us for the journey home to KST!
Streamed on City of Asylum's Virtual Channel. (run-time 90 min)
Join us for an evening of renditions of Kenny Dorham's music broadcasted live from the Alphabet City stage with The Off Minor Jazz Series. This is your last chance to hear them live before a brief summer break. Don't miss them and register today.
Trumpeter Kenny Dorham's (McKinley Howard Dorham) career began in the mid 1940's when he joined vibraphonist Lionel Hampton's band. He would go on to be a major player in both the BeBop and Hard Bop movements of the 1940's and 50's.